Great Lake of Killarney
Artist: Walmsley, Thomas
View of Muckross Abbey on the Lake of Killarney in Ireland. The Abbey was originally known as the ‘Monastery of Irrelagh' or Eastern Way and was built by Donal MacCarthy in 1448 for the Observantine Franciscans. It took over 50 years to build the Abbey and so the different parts of the building such as the South Tower and the Cloisters demonstrate changing building techniques. In 1583 the monks were driven out of the abbey and it was granted to Captain Collum; from this time the building was used as an abbey sporadically between times of persecution until it was finally suppressed in 1652.