Her Majesty's lodge at Frogmore near Windsor
Engraver: Apostool, Cornelius
Frogmore Lodge stood to the south-east of Windsor Castle in Little Park, now known as Home Park. This brick mansion was originally built around 1680 by Hugh May, with seven bays and a pedimented entrance. It was purchased in 1792 by Queen Charlotte, who spent much of her leisure time there, and who had the architect James Wyatt extend the building. The lodge passed on Charlotte's death to her daughter Princess Augusta. It was bought outright by the Crown in 1809 and was later used by other members of the royal family. It also had a pleasant garden, with one early-19th century description referring to: "flower gardens, lawns, pleasure grounds, island, with ornamental temples, alcoves, covered garden seats, gothic rooms, hermitage and grotto."