Haddon Hall 14
Engraver: Vivares, [S.]
View from across the valley of Haddon Hall in Derbyshire. This is a genuine, and picturesquely attractive medieval castle set in a lush valley with woods and a meandering river. It was started in the 12th century by Richard de Vernon and in the late medieval period was extensively rebuilt by the Vernons. The house passed to the Manners family in the 16th century and further improvements were made in the Elizabethan and Jacobean periods. However by about 1700 the house was no longer inhabited. John Byng, Viscount Torrington visited in 1789 and commented 'This poor abandon'd place is totally deserted' and that the house had 'an awful, and melancholy look, as if deploring its forlorn state'. He did however notice the beauty of the spot and the romantic countryside and thought that 'the walls and roof are all sound and good; so only furniture and fuel are necessary, to make it habitable'.