Artist: Prout[F.S.A., Samuel]
View of Holy Island in Northumberland (also known by its ancient name of Lindisfarne). There was a long history of a monastic community living here in this isolated outpost along the Northumbrian coast. In the 7th century St Aidan established a monastery on land granted by King Oswald of Northumbria. It is also famous for its connections with St Cuthbert in the Anglo-Saxon period. In the late 11th century a new Benedictine Priory was built here under the orders of the Norman Bishop William de St Carilef. By the 18th century the monastery was in ruins. However there was also a small fort called Lindisfarne Castle, built in 1549-50, which continued to be used for a garrison until 1819.