Medium: Ink on paper
View of St Mary’s Church in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. The building work on the church started in 1140 and was eventually completed in 1180. The basic structure of the church is much the same now as when it was built except for the addition of the vestry and porches and the enlargement of some of the windows. It is thought to be the most complete Norman church in Hertfordshire. The spire, which stands to a height of almost 200 feet and contains eight bells, was completed in 1340, it was constructed of Oak and then covered in lead arranged in a herringbone pattern. The clock that can be seen on the wall in this wash was a gift from the Earl of Marchmont in 1784.