Harbledown Church Kent
Watercolour and pencil drawing showing a north east view of Harbledown Church near Canterbury in Kent. This was St Nicholas's Chapel, also known as The Leper Church. A church and hospital for lepers was founded here for 60 patients in c.1084 by Archbishop Lanfranc. It was sited on Harbledown Hill looking away from Canterbury. The church was built of flint and was enlarged in the 14th century. The Hospital attracted many important guests who were passing between London and Canterbury, such as the Black Prince. After the gradual disappearance of Leprosy from England, the hospital was demolished and new almshouses built.