His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales' Pavilion at Brighthelmstone
Artist: Middleton, C
View of the pavilion built for George, the Prince of Wales, at Brighton. Daniel Defoe visited here in the early 18th century, noting "Bright Helmston, commonly call'd Bredhemston, a poor fishing town, old built, and on the very edge of the sea". He doubted whether the town was worth saving from the encroaching sea. However by the late 18th century Brighton had become a fashionable resort. Its fortune was turned after Dr Russell wrote a 'Dissertation concerning the Use of Sea Water in Diseases of the Glands' advocating the health benefits of bathing in seawater.
The Prince of Wales first visited in 1783 and the Marine Pavilion was built in 1787 by Henry Holland, in the classical style. The building was essentially two houses, that of his mistress Maria Fitzherbert and a farmhouse, which Holland connected with a classical rotunda. It was remodelled at the beginning of the 19th century into the oriental-influenced building that stands to this day.