Medium: Ink wash on paper
Distant view of Harewood House. Originally a medieval manor with a castle, a mansion (later known as Old Gawsthorpe Hall) was built on the grounds by the Gascoigne family. In the 18th century, the estate with house was purchased by a wealthy West Indian merchant family, the Lascelles. Between 1759-1771, a new house was built here in the classical style and landscaped, with some work by Capability Brown.