In a lane at Kenilworth, Warwickshire
The ruins of Kenilworth Castle have sections dating from the Norman to Elizabethan eras. A castle was first established here around 1125 by Geoffrey de Clinton. The keep was built between 1170 and 1180 and the curtain walls were added around 1205 and 1215. John Byng, Viscount Torrington and social diarist, visited the castle in 1785 and "mused much on all this scenery of antient splendour;and did wish for a longer stay than the profitable hour we passed amidst the ruins' commenting that 'the whole look is wonderfully grand!".