Internal View of the Priory or Hospital of St John the Evangelist
Artist: Holmes, G.
The priory or hospital of St John the Evangelist is situated in Kilkenny, Ireland. The Augustine priory was founded by William Le Mareschal in c.1220. Although the priory had extensive enclosed grounds, the monks lived in domestic buildings located some distance away in Greensbridge, and accommodation for them was not completed at St John’s for over 100 years. In 1540, during the reformation, King Henry VIII suppressed the priory and granted the buildings and land to the Mayor and citizens of Kilkenny. By 1645 an order of Jesuit monks were using the priory as a college or seminary but they were driven out by Cromwell a few years later and the abbey fell into disuse. In 1817 the building was restored and became the parish of St John.