Killgarran Castle [Cilgerran Castle]
View of Cilgaran Castle in Pembrokeshire, south east Wales. The castle is situated on a promontory overlooking the junction of the Rivers Teifi and Plysgog. It is thought that the stone castle on this site was built by William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke in 1212, although the site had been fortified since the early 12th century. Cilgaran Castle is defensively positioned and is surrounded on three sides by steep slopes. The complex consists of inner and outer wards, two drum towers, and a gatehouse. The castle was in use until the 14th century when it suffered damage during Owain Glyndwr’s rebellion and was subsequently left to ruin.