Killochan, Ayrshire, the seat of Sir Andrew Cathcart, Bart, with Rocks of Ailsa, and the Arran Hills
Medium: Pencil on paper
View of Killochan Castle in Ayrshire, Scotland. The castle stands on the banks of the Girvan River and was built in the 16th century. An inscription above the entrance to the castle reads ‘This work was begun the 1 of Marche 1586 be Johne Cathcart of Carlton and Helene his spous’. Killochan has been home to the Cathcart family since the 13th century and the castle was a symbol of their power. It is a fortified tower with a spiral staircase enclosed in a tower on one corner. Ailsa Craig can be seen projecting to the left of this picture, it is 329 feet high, ¾ of a mile long and a ½ mile wide. It is famous for the curling stones that are made from its granite.