London. In the centre is seen principally Waterloo Bridge and to the right part of Somerset House and the Adelphi
Engraver: Havell, R. & Son
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
A detailed view of Waterloo Bridge with numerous other London landmarks. A note explains "-in Distance. Westminster Abbey and Bridge, Lambeth Palace &c. and in Middle Distance, the Theatres, Whitehall, St Martins, and other Parish Churches -in Distance. Westminster Abbey and Bridge, Lambeth Palace &c". Waterloo bridge was built between 1811-17 by contractors Joliffe and Brown to a design of architect was John Rennie. It had 9 granite arches with two Doric columns at each pier. The bridge was opened by the Prince Regent on the second anniversary of the battle of Waterloo. It was originally called Strand Bridge but a 1816 Act of Parliament changed its name to Waterloo in 'remembrance of great and glorious achievements'. Somerset House was a former royal palace, which by 1811 was used as government offices for the Royal Navy amongst others.