Laughton Place, Sussex 51a
Medium: Ink wash on paper
The fortified manor house of Laughton Place was bought by the Pelham family in the early 16th century, and rebuilt in 1534 by Sir William Pelham. In 1595, the family moved to a different house at nearby Halland, although they continued to own the manor of Laughton. The farm was converted into a Gothic-style farmhouse in the late 18th century. As can be seen in this picture, a classical pediment and battlements have been included. The manor house was built of locally produced brick.