Laughton Place, Sussex 51.c
Medium: Ink wash on paper
The front entrance of Laughton Place in Sussex. This fortified manor house was bought by the Pelham family. It was rebuilt in 1534 by Sir William Pelham . However inn 1595, the family moved to a different house at Halland, although they continued to own the manor of Laughton. By the late 18th century the farm was converted into a Gothick farmhouse. As can be seen in this picture, a classical pediment has been added, pointed arch windows and battlements. The manor house was built of brick, the production of which was a successful local industry.