Magdalene College, Cambridge 50m
Engraver: Harraden, J.
View of the gardens of Magdalene College, Cambridge. It was originally founded in 1428 as a hostel for Benedictine monks from Croyland to benefit from the university's education. The first courtyard was built between c.1430-1580. During this period the college benefited from the support of the 2nd and 3rd Dukes of Buckingham and the college became known as Buckingham College. The college was dissolved along with other religious houses but refounded again in 1542.