Montpellier Pump Room, Cheltenham
Engraver: Hulley, T.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of the Montpellier Pump Room at Cheltenham Spa in Gloucestershire. It was one of the newest Spas in Cheltenham, which opened 1809, and consisted of a wooden cabin and veranda. In the early 18th century, salt water springs had accidentally been discovered at Cheltenham and the spring was developed into a well by the owner Henry Skillicorne. Salt Water bathing was recommended as a new cure for ill health by Georgian physicians. John Byng, Viscount Torrington, who toured here in 1781, commented 'the waters are in high vogue, and the last season the best ever known (the opinion being that the sea coasts are dangerous in war-time)'. However it was the visit of George III and his family in 1788, which really made Cheltenham fashionable. Montpellier Pump Room was overcrowded and was rebuilt in 1817, with a classical style building.