Engraver: Sarjent, F.J.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of the city centre of Manchester, showing the St Mary's Gate side of the Manchester Cotton Exchange. In the background is St Ann's Square and St Ann's Church, which was built in 1709-12 of red stone. The first cotton exchange was built by the Lord of the Manor, Sir Oswald Mosley in Market place. It was demolished in 1790. After this time manufacturers and merchants met at a spot at the junction of St Mary's Gate and Exchange Street. By the late 18th century cotton weaving was the main industry and it became necessary to provide a suitable buildings. A Committee was formed in 1804, and £32,000 was raised from 1,500 subscribers. The second exchange was built in 1806-9 by Thomas Harrison of Chester. As can be seen in this print it was a curved building in the classical style. Across the street is a shop called Ollivant.