Mitcham church in Surrey, 1754
Medium: Ink wash on paper
The small Church of St Peter and St Paul lay near Mitcham village green. The structure in the picture was replaced in 1819-21 by a church in the Gothic Perpendicular style - with a greater emphasis on rectilinear and vertical line. The medieval tower remained from the earlier building, although the exterior was stuccoed.