Mayfield Place, Sussex, 1787
Mayfield Place in Sussex was one of the great palaces of the medieval archbishops of Canterbury. It was sold in 1567, after the monastic dissolution, and refurbished by Sir Thomas Gresham. It was owned by a local family, the Bakers, in the 18th century, and in the 1740s the head of the house, Michael Baker, moved from the main palace into the lower house (pictured) and had some of the other buildings on the estate reduced. St Dunstan's church spire can be seen in the distance behind the house.