Mayfield Church and Place, Sussex
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
View showing the tower and spire of St Dunstan's church and Mayfield Place (or Palace) in the background. The area has long associations with Dunstan, who was Archbishop of Canterbury between AD960 and 988. Here, according to tradition, he was working as a blacksmith when he was visited by the Devil disguised as a beautiful woman. Recognising the Devil's cloven hoof, he fought him off by pinching him on the nose with his hot pincers!
Mayfield Place was one of the great palaces of the medieval archbishops of Canterbury. It was sold in 1567, after the monastic dissolution, and refurbished by Sir Thomas Gresham. It was owned by a local family, the Bakers, in the 18th century, and in the 1740s the head of the house, Michael Baker, moved from the main palace into the lower house and had some of the other buildings on the estate reduced.