Mount Vernon in Virginia. The Seat of the late Lieut. General George Washington
Artist: Robertson, A.
View of Mount Vernon in Virginia. George Washington, President of the United States (1789-97) lived here for more than 45 years. The house is situated on the Potomac River, 15 miles from Washington DC. It was on an 8,000 acre plantation which was divided into 5 independent farms. First known as Little Hunting Creek Plantation, the Estate was originally granted to Washington's great grandfather John Washington in 1674. It was Washington's half-brother, Lawrence, who renamed the property Mount Vernon after his commanding officer, Admiral Edward Vernon of the British navy. George Washington inherited the estate in 1761. He enlarged the property from a four roomed house to a grand mansion. The two story Piazza, which can be seen in this print, was built in 1777, it was paved with white flagstones and had a low pitched roof covered with lead. This piazza feel into disrepair and was replaced in 1860 and has since been renovated many times.