North West View of Truro
Engraver: Lewis, F.C.
A north west view of the town of Truro in Cornwall. It is situated at a junction of the River Kenwyn and Allen Rivers which form an outlet to the sea. Truro was an important Cornish port in medieval times, as locally mined copper and tin was passed through here. In the 18th century, the rise in tin prices brought prosperity and many elegant houses were built by mine owners. There were also new public buildings such as the Assembly Rooms of 1772 and a 1799 Infirmary. This view from a churchyard on a hill above the town, shows houses, the spire of St Marys, the parish church and the river