Artist: King, J.
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
View of the town of Newport in the Isle of Wight. Newport is situated on the River Medina, which flows north to the Solent, and is surrounded by lofty downs. Newport was the farthest inland navigable point on the river and until the 19th century it was a thriving port and busy market town. It is known that there was a Roman settlement here, dating from the 3rd century, and that it was developed by the Normans after it was here that they built Carisbrook Castle, their principal stronghold. The town was founded and named by Richard de Redvers who laid out the streets in a grid pattern. Much of the town was destroyed by a combined French and Spanish invasion in 1377. Newport grew rapidly in the Georgian and Victorian periods due to its successful market.