North View of Hitchin Church
Medium: Ink on paper
View of the Church in Hitchin, northern Hertfordshire. The beautiful and ornate church was built in the 10th century but was badly damaged by a storm in 1115. The building which was dedicated to St. Andrew was given to the Benedictine nuns of St Mary’s of Elstow. The church was rebuilt, prior to the reign of Henry VIII, and was re-dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It is a large ornate two storied church built in the later style of English architecture, with a low embattled tower, topped by a spire.