North View of Holm Lacey, near Hereford
Artist: Fisher, S.
View of Holm Lacy in Herefordshire. The estate here belonged to the de Lacy family, heirs of William de Lacy who was one of the followers of William the Conqueror. By the 16th century the estate had passed to the Scudamore family who built a grand brick house here. In the 17th century the house was extended by John Scudamore, Second Viscount, probably by the builder Anthony Deane. The following description of the house is taken from Kelly’s Directory of Herefordshire, 1858,
“The greatest part of Holme House was built by the last Viscount Scudamore, who was the friend of Pope, who frequently wooed the muses here. The good taste of the present proprietor allows the mansion to remain unaltered, the more ancient part of which displays the Elizabethan Style. Its situation is retired, commanding a beautiful but confined view in the front. The apartments of this noble building are decorated with family portraits, and valuable paintings by Vandyck, Janson, Holbein, and other great masters”.