North East View of Westminster Abbey
Engraver: Stadler, J.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
A north east view of St Peter's Church, Westminster, also known as Westminster Abbey. Founded as a monastic house by Edward the Confessor and consecrated in 1065. This saintly association meant the abbey was showered with gifts of land, and the building was beautified by medieval kings (as well as becoming the Royal burial place). It was rebuilt in the thirteenth century in the French gothic style - with a nave of great height and flying buttresses and rose windows. The monastery was dissolved in 1540 and the Abbey became the cathedral of the new diocese of Westminster. The cathedral has been repaired many times - particularly by Christopher Wren and Nicholas Hawksmoor.