North-east prospect of the White Tower, May 12th 1782
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
This square, turreted Norman keep was built around AD1077 and became known as the White Tower when it was whitewashed during the reign of Henry III in the 1240s. It was originally used as a military stronghold and palace. The caps on the turrets were added in the 1530s. The building beside the keep probably dates from the 18th century. The drawing is labelled "drawn from Mr Porster's parlour, 12 May, 1782".