North-east view of the chapel and hall of New College
Engraver: Lewis, FC
New College was founded in 1379 by William of Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester. A wealthy institution, it had impressive buildings including the chapel and hall in the great quad. Its buildings are one of the earliest examples of 'Gothic perpendicular' architecture in Oxford - a style with strong emphasis on vertical forms. The chapel is T-shaped, a form later adopted by many other college chapels. As seen in the picture, the hall and chapel form a continuous block, although the hall has smaller, plainer windows. A common feature of medieval establishments, the hall was the communal centre of the college.