NW view from the Old Bath Road on Froster Hill
Engraver: Howorth, Eth
Medium: Aquatint with etching
The Old Bath Road is part of a major highway running between Bristol and London, now known as the A4. Originally known as the 'Bristol Road', its name was changed when Bath gained importance as a major resort. In 1711 a new stagecoach service from London to Bath was introduced. The road was not in very good condition however, being muddy and pot-holed.