New Cross turnpike, on the Kent Road
Engraver: Laurie, R
New Cross tollgate was situated along the main road from Dover to London. An Act of Parliament established the New Cross Turnpike Trust in 1718, which lasted until 1813. The picture also shows the New Cross House, one of the many inns lining the road to serve 18th century travellers.