North East View of St Edmund's Church, Salisbury
Artist: Buckler, John
North east view of St Edmunds, the third parish church built to serve the growing population of Salisbury. It was built c.1269 and space could only be found in the north east town outskirts. It was intended to be a large church and it supported a college of priests living in the nearby college - which meant it was a collegiate church. This picture shows much of the medieval church fabric rebuilt - in 1653 the church tower had collapsed and the original nave was demolished soon afterwards.