North-east view of Wilton priory
Artist: Buckler, John
This famous Benedictine nunnery was founded in Wilton by King Alfred, and by the 13th century housed around 80 nuns. The nunnery estate survived until the dissolution of monastic houses in the 16th century. The estate was then granted by Henry VIII to William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke. A house of Dominican friars was also established at Wilton before 1245.