North West View of the Church of St Michael le Belfry, York
View of the church of St Michel le Belfry in York. The first church to be built on this site is thought to date from the 8th century however the building in this print dates from the 16th century. The medieval church had fallen to disrepair by 1510 and so it was demolished and a new church, designed by architect John Forman was constructed. St Michel’s was one of only a small number of Churches that were built during a time of religious and political upheaval during the reign of Henry VIII. The church’s name is derived from its close proximity to the belfry tower of York Minster.