North West View of St Donats Castle in Glamorganshire
Engraver: Sandby, P.
View of St. Donat’s Castle in Glamorganshire, South Wales. The original Norman castle was built by the Hawey family in the 13th early century. The castle was remodelled at the end of the century by John de Pembridge who the heiress. The castle is situated on a promontory near the cliff face. The castle was built to a concentric design and is surrounded by a moat. A grand hall was added in the 15th century and the north and west ranges date from the 16th century. In 1925 the castle was restored and transformed into a private residence.