A view of the city of New York in America as it was in the 18th century. The city is situated at the mouth of the Hudson River and by 1790 it had developed into the largest city in America. The land was discovered in 1524, was settled by the Dutch in 1624 and was named New Amsterdam and became a trading post of the Dutch West India Company. In 1664 the colony was surrendered to British forces and was renamed New York after James Duke of York (1633-1701), brother to King Charles II, who had been granted the lands. New York city was the state capital until 1797. A key appears to the top right and buildings such as the Fort, the City Hall and the Churches are identified.