New York. From Hobuck Ferry House New Jersey
Artist: Robertson, Alexander
Distant view of New York in America with the Hobuck Ferry House to the left. Hobuck was an island with the Hudson river to the east and a swamp on the west. After the American War of Independence the island was purchased by Colonel John Stevens, he renamed it Hoboken and created a health resort for the wealthy. He created built a path along the Hudson River, a mineral spa, an inn, a hotel and he landscaped woods and meadows making the ‘Elysian Fields’. Stevenson understood the importance of transport to Hoboken and in 1811 he started the first regular steam ferry service between Manhattan and the island.