[Elevation and plan of St Anne's Church in Limehouse]
Engraver: Hawksmoor, Nicholas
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
A drawing by celebrated architect Nicholas Hawksmoor of part of his church at Limehouse. This is a design for the church tower, one of several he created. Limehouse was originally in Stepney parish. There was opposition from local clergy to the creation of the new parish here. The fine new St Anne's church, built in 1712-24 was not consecrated until 1730. It was built in the shape of a Greek Cross. The clock is the highest church clock in London and acted as a landmark for ships coming into the East End docks.