View of Slane Castle, County Meath. The castle was situated on the Hill of Slane where legend holds that Saint Patrick lit a fire at Easter in 433AD as a challenge to the druid traditions of nearby Tara. The castle that originally stood here was erected in the 1170s and was of motte and bailey design. In the 1785-6, after this watercolour was completed Lord Conyngham who owned the castle commissioned James Wyatt to redesign the building. Wyatt turned Slane castle into a classic Gothic mansion, complete with library, hall and ballroom. The stable and parklands were actually laid out by capability Brown.