Part of a Roman pavement found in the church yard at Woodchester near Minching Hampton in Gloucestershire
Artist: Priscilla Combe
A copy by Priscilla Combe of a drawing taken on the spot by Richard Bradley in Aug 1722. Bradley drew for Edmond Brown Bodborough Esq., who had paid for the uncovering of the mosaic. The accompanying note described 'The length is about 120 feet compos'd of small bricks of about 1/2 inch square of several colours so artfully set together that they yield an agreeable variety of figures of Beasts, Birds etc. The circle A is feet & is now about 6 feet underground- This was first delineated & coloured in August 1722 by Richd Bradley'. This floor belonged to an important Roman Villa of 64 rooms. It was excavated by Samuel Lysons in 1793-6 who published his results in a book in 1797. This section is from the Orpheus Mosaic, so-called because it is centred on Orpheus playing his lyre. This section shows the two concentric circles of beautifully drawn and coloured birds and animals at the middle of the mosaic. The floor was heated by flues underneath it and is one of the finest examples of its type in Roman Britain.