Plan of Sandham Fort in the Isle of Wight, 1725
Medium: Ink wash on paper
The title of this map is incorrect and it is in fact a plan of Sandown Fort not Sandham, in the Isle of Wight. Sir Richard Worsley describes the fort in his book ‘The History of the Isle of Wight’, published in 1781; "Sandown fort commands a bay on the south side of the island, where there is a good landing place. It is a very low square building, flanked by four bastions, and encompassed by a ditch. Being esteemed of the greatest consequence of any fort in the island, it had an establishment, consisting of a master gunner, and thirty soldiers … It has been much neglected, but lately has been put into repair at a very considerable expense to the crown, and the apartments made fit for the reception of the captain, who resides there in the summer”.