Part of an ancient Royal Palace at Charing, in Kent
View of part of the old archbishop's palace at the village of Charing in Kent, which at this time was being used as a barn. As Charing was on the way between Lambeth Palace in London, and Canterbury, the episcopal see, the manor house was used by Archbishops for accommodation during medieval times. They enlarged the house to make it into a palace and often entertained important guests here. There was a banquet for Henry VIII and his court in 1520, who were en-route to the Field of the Cloth of Gold. By the late 18th century parts of the palace were used for farm buildings, including the banqueting hall. However it was still a custom for Archbishops to robe at the manor house here, before entering church.