Painted window in St Bartholomew's Hospital
Engraver: Sherlock, WP
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
The oldest hospital in London, St Bartholomew's was rebuilt in a James Gibb design between 1730 and 1759. The great hall was finished by 1738 and this window installed in the west wing. The window was probably made around 1664 and shows Henry VIII, who dissolved the medieval priory of St Bartholomew and in 1554 refounded the struggling hospital with a new board of governors.