Part of Tynemouth priory
Medium: Charcoal on paper
This image shows the ruins of the interior and barracks of Tynemouth priory.
It stands on an ancient religious site: there was a monastery here possibly as early as the mid-seventh century, and it was attacked by the Danes several times in the eighth century. The Normans restored the priory church around 1083 and it came under the jurisdiction of the Benedictine abbey at St Albans. Perched on the plateau of a cliff, the Priory had a solid defensive position, with extra fortifications added throughout the centuries. In this drawing, the faint outline of a fort with soldiers stationed outside can be seen through the archway.