Plan of Magdalen Bridge and the streets of Oxford
Medium: Watercolour with pencil, pen and ink
"Plan of Magdalen Bridge as at present with parts adjacent", being the original design for removal of the east gate and for forming a new road to St Clements. Magdalen Bridge, which crossed the River Charwell, was designed by John Gwynn of Shrewsbury (1713–1786) Surveyor to the Commissioners of the Oxford Paving Act. It was built between 1772 and 1782. Gwynn was a largely self taught architect and surveyor and he worked on Christopher Wren’s plan for rebuilding St Paul’s Cathedral, many public buildings in Oxford such as the workhouse and covered market and a bridge across the River Severn in Shrewsbury. Magdalen bridge became a focal point for Oxford town and every year May Day celebrations are held there- Choristers traditionally sing from the Tower of Magdalen College, which is located at one end of the bridge.