Part of the town and castle of Ludlow in Shropshire
Engraver: Sandby, Paul
Distant view of Ludlow Castle, which was established around 1085 probably by Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Shrewsbury, or Roger de Lacy. It is situated in a good defensive position, on top of steep slopes down to the River Corve in the north and to River Teme in the west. The outer bailey wall was built in the late 12th century and the inner bailey wall in the early 12th century. Daniel Defoe visited the castle in the early 18th century, writing that: "the situation of this castle is most beautiful indeed ... [it] is in the very perfection of decay, all the fine courts, the royal apartments, halls and rooms of state, lye open, abandoned and some of them falling down".
The engraver is Paul Sandby (1725-1809), one of the most influential English watercolour artists of his time. He was trained in the draughtsmenship of military maps and plans at the Tower of London. This picture shows his keen eye for detail in the recording the landscape and in his amusing, slightly caricatured portrayal of the farmworkers.