Part of the Old Bridge at Shrewsbury
Engraver: Sandby, Paul
This view shows the first two arches of a new bridge being constructed near the remains of the old medieval bridge at Shrewsbury. This was one of several late-18th century bridges built at Shrewsbury over the River Severn, including the English Bridge (built 1768-74) by John Gwynne and the Welsh Bridge (1791-5) by Carline & Tilley. The engraver, Paul Sandby (1725-1809), was one of the most influential English watercolour artists of his time.