Artist and engraver: Pickett, W
View of Putney from across the River Thames, showing Putney Bridge and parish church. The old church is today surrounded by office blocks, but in the late 18th century it was the centre of a town and parish of little over 2,000 inhabitants. A number of wealthy Londoners built homes there, making it into a fashionable area.
The wooden bridge in the picture was erected in 1729, replacing an earlier ferry service. Before 1750, it was the only Thames crossing west of London Bridge and as a result attracted an increasing volume of pedestrians and carriage traffic, despite charging a toll.