Putney church from the White Lion
Engraver: Laurie, R
The wooden bridge in the picture was erected in 1729, replacing an earlier ferry service. Before 1750, tt was the only Thames crossing west of London Bridge and as a result attracted an increasing volume of pedestrians and carriage traffic, despite charging a toll.
St Mary's church was part of the Archbishop of Canterbury's manor of Wimbledon until 1535. The impressive 15th century chantry chapel was expensively rebuilt by its patron, the Bishop of Ely.