Principal Patterns of the Norman Tiles from the Floor of St. Nicholas Chapel York Minster
Artist: Fowler, William
View of the Norman tiles in St Nicholas’ Chapel in York Minster. The Cathedral was built in the 13th century on the site of earlier ecclesiastical buildings. It is thought that there was a church here as early as the 7th century- although this would have been a considerably smaller building made from wood. The earliest parts of the present building of York Minster date from 1154 when Archbishop Roger of Pont l’Eveque built a choir and a crypt. In 1220 Archbishop Gray and the Dean and Chapter decided to rebuilt the Minster and the new church was developed in the fashionable Early English Gothic style.